Cafe des Amis, a restaurant situated near Westgate, had to evacuate customers yesterday evening due to a fire. The incident occurred around 6.30pm, and was allegedly caused by a Christmas tree being set alight.

Jon Tarrant, who was drinking in the restaurant at the time, said “either the lights on the tree or a candle near a pine Christmas tree set it alight, and it was up in a blaze along with the whole wall.

“There wasn’t major damage except the fire smashed the window. Staff rushed over to our table with a very shocked smiley expression, then told us to leave ‘as the tree’s on fire.’”

A fire engine was quickly on the scene, and no customers or staff were hurt, but some belongings and items of clothing were left inside the restaurant.