Select Page

UKC Women’s Football lose 1-0 during Varsity 2016

Maddy Dunn reported on the game on what was a cold wintery evening, as CCCU fought out a fiesty 1-0 victory over a resilient UKC in the Varsity Women’s football match.

The game kicked off with a rapid start, and a free kick was awarded to CCCU in the first 5 minutes, though nothing came from it. This was followed by a good clearance from CCCU’s Rebecca Smith, but was secured by UKC’s no.4 Grace Sones Devally.

The game progressed at a steady pace, until there was a goalmouth scramble in front of UKC’s 6 yard box, but was cleared by the defence, where CCCU secured dominance. Next came a quick attack after a throw in, which offered a great chance for UKC’s no.11 to score, but was tipped over by the keeper.

20 minutes into the half, both teams struggled to achieve complete control over the ball, and it seemed as if the game could go either way. At times, I witnessed some messy handling of the ball, when suddenly, a 30 yard looping shot almost flew past UKC’s goalkeeper Bethan Clarke; however, she managed to keep the ball out with a spectacular save.

The game seemed to stagnate a little towards the end of the first half, and saw a dangerous free kick for CCCU in UKC’s half of the pitch, but it sailed wide, with no consequence. However a costly mistake by UKC’s keeper was made as she fumbled across the 6 yard box but this time, CCCU were unable to pull through.

The second half brought forward an almost immediate goal from CCCU thanks to a headed effort, with rumour that it was an own goal by UKC. Nevertheless, the home side were a now a goal down and needed to increase the intensity. This I exactly what they did, as UKC began to furiously fight back with a brilliant twisting run by Kent’s no.5 Harriet Woolston which concluded in a double save by CCCU’s Gaby Packerman.

Soon after this CCCU’s Nicole Perry was assisted by medics after injury, but then CCCU made another play for a goal, however they were bitterly disappointed with an offside ruling. CCCU were then unfortunately struck with another injury. UKC then hit back with a close call from UKC’s no.5 Harriet Woolston and no.9 Soso King forcing a smart double save at the near post with 15 minutes to go.

Both teams fought hard until the end, and UKC were defeated with 1-0. In talking with UKC’s Captain Becca Nesbit, she expressed:

“The team performed really well and I’m so proud of how hard we fought, we really deserved it, our spirits were high, but we were ultimately just unlucky. Our second half game was brilliant and I think if we had initiated the game with that mentality, we would have increased our chances of winning. Our keeper was on great form and we definitely wanted it.”


About The Author

Leave a reply

Recent Tweets

  • Today is ! Head down to see some great student bands!
  • Update for those graduating: Additional graduation tickets will be available for purchase from 10am on Wednesday 1st June
  • ENTERTAINMENT | Jack Hsuan reviews PC game !…
  • Lecturer strikes start today. Read why here…
  • Update: Exams which are set to take place at the same time as the lecturer strikes will go ahead as normal.…


Latest Issue

Latest Issue

Recent Posts